Somehow, winter is over, spring break has happened, and Mother’s Day is almost here! Mother’s Day is ostensibly a holiday we don’t have to plan for, coordinate, and puppet-master. Buuuut, it certainly doesn’t hurt to place a few well-intentioned hints to your loved ones who aren’t as seasoned when it comes to event planning. Our PlanHero Mother’s Day Gift Guide suggests ideas to make Mother’s Day extra special this year; all you have to do is share the link!
1. Time (with some goodies thrown in)
In the 23 Mother’s Days I’ve had as a mom, I’ve been lucky enough to celebrate in a wide variety of ways. I’ve enjoyed burned breakfasts in bed (and the kitchen aftermath) with homemade cards, over-priced brunches where my children consume two bites of french toast and are done, hikes where I end up giving the youngest a piggy-back for the last mile, and days spent outside in the garden. All delightful. But sometimes you have to shake things up (except for the homemade cards. I love those; keep ’em coming).
Moms love gifts that gives them more time to focus on what matters most in their lives and anything you can do to facilitate this is a great way to make Mother’s Day especially meaningful. Pro-tip: unless the mom in your life has been strongly hinting she would like any kind of appliance, this is not the kind of time-saver she is after.
- Gift certificate for a full house cleaning or window washing (or both!). Nothing says spring is here quite like an uncluttered home and sparkly windows. An alternative? Get up nice and early and involve the family in cleaning while Mom catches up on her sleep. Send foot soldiers in to deliver coffee, something to read, and possibly earplugs.
- If you haven’t signed up for PlanHero already, do it! Get your free trial here.
- Fill up Mom’s car with gas, take it through the car wash, and give the inside a quick clean so she can start her Monday knowing there’s one less thing she has on her to-do list.
- School-age kids? Clean our their backpacks, do a double-check with homework, and help them prepare for Monday morning. Think of the tasks Mom usually handles on the regular and get as many of those tackled ahead of time.
Honestly, if my family filled a basket with a soft blanket, a good book, a thermos of coffee, and a few things for a nice pampering session – and then left me alone for the afternoon – I would be one happy mama.
2. A little somethin’ somethin’
Does the mom in your life like pretty baubles? Of course she does. We are obsessed with this darling boutique that offers an expansive array of sentiment-bearing, soul-enriching, life-cheering options. Check out Waxing Poetic’s gift ideas for Mom.
This clever mold from Crate & Barrel doubles as a centerpiece. Perfect for outdoor entertaining (even better if you set it up ahead of time for Mom with her favorite libation).
You most certainly do not have to be a farm girl to appreciate these absolutely fabulous bouquets. They are hands down my favorite flowers. Gorgeous blooms wrapped in burlap and so reasonably priced you can get Mom flowers every Sunday!
5. Customized family print
If your days of making handmade cards are behind you, you can head over to Uncommon Goods and order artwork that is the next best thing. Choose your lineup, family name, and year your clan was established for a sweet, framed print of your family.